tɹuːli juːs.ləs: steɪ ɪnˈfɔrmd ænd ˈɪmˌprɛs jʊər frɛndz.

Stay informed and impreſs your friends.

Truly Useless Observances for July 2026

Monday, July 6, 2020

#Ratings: Random Urban Dictionary Entries


hmj
Apparently an abbreviation for "hit my jack" - meaning "hit me up", "text me", or to those from a previous generation, "reach out and touch someone through an electronic medium". The ancient Egyptians apparently used this as well, though to them "hmj" was an intransitive verb meaning to retreat. Gotta love languages. (C+)

I don't give a shit
Did you ever think this phrase would need to be defined or explained or spelled out? I feel it has been understood for centuries if not longer. Now that I see the definition, "a shit" seems too indefinite. From now on I will be specific about my disinterest and explain "I don't give the shit" and see if it raises anyone's eyebrows. (B-)

Feeder
"A male who likes to encourage weight gain in his partner through the consumption of food." This sort of activity seems dumb, if not dangerous. Would this not be called an enabler? Would the partner not be strong enough to see through this activity? And what is the partner called, the feedee? (D)

Rebecca
A name "reserved only for the genuine and best women on earth. They are really cute, beautiful, very smart, driven, have a wonderful and playful personality, and has this cute awkwardness about them." Someone never visited 1840s Wales. (C)

Funcle
The "fun uncle". I'm already hearing his nephew with a speech impediment. (C-)

Bool
To "hang out or relax or to do nothing". I would very much like to know more about this definition's origins. As a word it seems someone applied a different consonant sound to an already-established root (-ool; see cool, pool, stool), yet I don't know why such a lackluster activity as "doing nothing" deserves such a short, straight-forward word when there are plenty of synonyms for lazing. (B-)

No comments: