There are those who set out to climb the highest mountain on each of the seven continents: the "Seven Summits." Climbers in Great Britain take "the Three Peaks Challenge," attempting to climb the highest peaks in Scotland, England and Wales within 24 hours. Some mountaineers set a goal of reaching the summit of every peak in the world over, say, 10,000 feet. "Highpointers" try to climb the highest point in each of the fifty states.I set out with a modest goal: to climb the highest points of the states of the American Midwest. It was what I presumed to be an achievable goal for myself. There needed to be something extra, though... some added ingredient to make my journey a little more interesting.This is the story of my attempt to climb five state highpoints in four days.Before I could climb the Five Summits, I had to get to them. It took me two days of travel to get from my home in Oklahoma to my jump-off point in North Dakota. I spent that first day driving across Kansas and Nebraska. My first stop was Niobria State Park, on the northern border of Nebraska. Rain followed me all the way north. The next rainy night was in an RV park in Dickinson, North Dakota.
Tim Frayser
No comments:
Post a Comment