tɹuːli juːs.ləs: steɪ ɪnˈfɔrmd ænd ˈɪmˌprɛs jʊər frɛndz.

Stay informed and impreſs your friends.

Truly Useless Observances for July 2026

Sunday, September 1, 2019

#Ratings: Items on the Menu at the Local Greek Restaurant

Greek Chicken Salad
I'm never clear whether the chicken is Greek or the salad is Greek but it's a salad and very similar to the ones I get elsewhere - or I make at home. And there's something wimpy about ordering a salad from a restaurant when you can make yourself one at home, whether in Greece or elsewhere. The later in the day, the drier the chicken is. (C+)

Greek Village Salad
This Greek village is very similar to the Greek Chicken Salad, except there is no chicken. The menu boasts the salad is served with tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, bell peppers, and kalamata olives - but these are on the chicken salad. The only other difference in the two salads is a wedge of feta cheese that stands like the monolith from the Space Odyssey films. What if you order one of these with chicken? Are you buying a village salad with chicken or a chicken salad with a block of feta? (C)

Pastichio
This is the big, Greek sibling of macaroni and cheese casserole, but with meat. And I'm okay with that. (B+)

Spanakopita
Mispronounced as the encyclopedia of spanks, these pesky little pies are neither a hit nor miss because they're either lukewarm or room temperature. I've even taken home a few and had them for snacks days later, right out of the fridge. My point is I always wonder if they should be served hot or cold, though the fact they are apparently appropriate either way precludes me from learning more. (A-)

Falafel Wrap
This was my favorite menu item when it was served with double-T (tabouli and tzatziki). Now its loaded with tabouli, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, bell peppers (essentially a Greek Village Salad wrap) AND tzatziki AND hummus. Oh, and falafel, too. You can't fold or hold the thing so it's become the open-faced garbage salad of the establishment. (Falafel: A; Falafel Wrap: D)

No comments: