tɹuːli juːs.ləs: steɪ ɪnˈfɔrmd ænd ˈɪmˌprɛs jʊər frɛndz.

Stay informed and impreſs your friends.

Truly Useless Observances for July 2026

Monday, August 26, 2024

Underheard: Neighborhood/Ketchup

From the desk of Broderick Mitchell --

I went out for an evening walk and ran into what I think was a new neighbor. I don't know the old neighbors in this neighborhood anymore, either. He had his hands full with four young Labradors. Two were black; two were yellow. Two were named Mindy and Mork, while the others were Duke and Daisy. Two were male, and you get the idea. I didn't come away knowing which was which, and I'm not sure the neighbor knew either. I did make the odd, off-hand comment that he should have gotten one black, one yellow, and one red Labrador and then named them Neo, Polly, and Tintin. It's a Neapolitan ice cream joke, people, and after a hot evening or walking, a bowl of it sounded pretty good. I've read that the original flavors were cherry, pistachio, and vanilla – which sounds tastier.

It wasn't until I got home and looked up my joke that I realized there were red Labradors. Imagine my surprise!

Red Fox Labs are relatively uncommon compared to other Labrador Retriever coat colors. However, their popularity has been growing in recent years.

See, you learn something from this site, too.

Another house had three trucks from a local plumbing company in their driveway. I felt a bit sorry for whoever lived here. Neighbors can interpret one truck in one way, but what do you think is happening that someone had to have three trucks? One of the trucks was much larger and had more specialized equipment and tanks attached, as if this was the truck the plumbers called as a last resort.

I caught sight of a bird sitting atop a telephone pole while out walking, too. This should have been a non-issue, but it acted like it wasn't supposed to be there, or now that it was there, it didn't know how to get down. There likely is little room up there, but this bird kept walking in circles. It cawed a few times. Another bird, out of sight but nearby, cawed back. Then, more spinning. I know I couldn't get by doing such things down here on the ground. Or that's dancing?

A city water valve appears to have sprung a leak and flooded the drainage ditch in front of one of the houses on the neighborhood's far side. I noticed it last week, and it seemed regulated to one yard. Not so today. The water stretches across the front of three houses thanks to culverts running under driveways. Where were those three plumber trucks when someone needed them?


Some university bigwigs decided to have a late-summer get-together to allow staff time to reacquaint themselves with each other. What turned out to be an over-bloated in-service day was a chance for faculty and staff to stop by the student center ballroom and catch up with each other. In fact, that was the name of the event. Cookies and Catch-up. How much more saccharine can this get? Now, those same bigwigs hoped the attendees would bring a dozen or so cookies. All this reminded me of a staff appreciation pizza party that staff had to pay to attend.

My assistant, Jack Dawkins, however, quickly suggested an alternative for this summer's event. He brought ketchup. He reasoned that it was listed second on the meeting invitations and posters and, therefore, not the first thing on the minds of those attending. He would be the one championing ketchup. Or catsup – I don't know which he brought.

Sadly, judging from the four or five travel-size bottles left on the table with the iced tea, he wasn't the only one to kick up some dirt.

Are ketchup-flavored cookies a thing somewhere?

No comments: